Writer of Stories.

Writer of Stories.

Saturday, August 22, 2015

a thought.

On August 20th I uploaded the final version of BECAUSE OF HIM.
This will be my sixth book professionally released independently on Amazon.
WOW!
It feels like I've come a long way in three years, and I think it's true. 
I've met so many amazing people that have become assets to my career and developed lasting friendships along the way! Whenever I add a new book to my bibliography on Goodreads, I think just how happy I am that this is what I chose to do with my life. I love writing. I love telling stories and filling pages with endless words that can inspire, crush, or make you think. It's wonderful to know that so many people are reading my words and feeling something because of them. 
Still, there are days when I doubt myself. There are times when I wonder if I'll ever have more than this. Just me, sitting in my room and writing for the internet. Of course, I'd love to be traditionally published. I'd love to walk into Barnes & Noble and see my book sitting on the shelf. Not because I want the money, but because it would mean my stories are reaching a wider audience. 
I've struggled for a long time to balance the line between being independent and having an agent/publisher/publicist back me. I'm afraid I'll lose the freedom I currently have with doing everything myself, but at the same time, I'm afraid that without those people I'll never reach my true potential. 
I've said it before: I don't want to be famous. And it's true.
I don't want to be John Green or J.K. Rowling. My wish is not to be a millionaire that flies across the globe and does countless interviews answering the same questions over and over. I never want to lose the relationships I've built with my readers. I'd love to see my books play out on a big screen, but I never want to lose the drive to have an imagination. If I could make enough money from book sales to leave my day job, that would be awesome, but isn't that the dream for most authors? 
I'm finding more and more that the writing world is full of genuine people. The authors I've met are not in this because of the money or the recognition. They love telling stories. I've never felt so welcomed by a group of people than when I'm at book festivals. I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my world revolves around books, and those that write them.
It seems that as long as there are people out there that want to read my books, I'll write them.
Even if there's not, I doubt I'd stop.
No matter what happens, I don't think I'll ever give up my one true love.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do 
with your one wild and precious life?” 
― Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment