Writer of Stories.

Writer of Stories.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

In Memoriam

10 years ago today, I was in the fourth grade. I was the one that did the afternoon announcements and called the students to their buses when they arrived. I had made my way to the office like it was any other day and when I got there all the office workers and secretaries were watching little portible TVs. My childish mind remembered that our principal had done an interview a fews days prior, so I asked one of the ladies if he was on TV. One of them was crying and said, "No sweetheart."

I don't remember if I did the annoucements as usual. I would assume that I did seeing as in my head there was nothing out of the norm going on. I do remember my parents picking me up and my dad telling me about what had happened. Once we were home my mom was watching it on the television. They were replaying everything that had happended that morning. It was crazy to think about.

Both the towers had already fallen and I had no idea. I and all the other children just sat in their classes and completed our assignments like all was well in the world. Now that I think about it, I might remember some of the teachers periodically going out into the halls and talking with the other adults. It never crossed my mind that anything was wrong though.

I do remember being scared. When I was at home, watching the instant replays of the towers falling over and over again, I thought to myself "Maybe they'll come here. What about my house?"

Funny the things you think about when you're a child. Later I found out that a few of my friends from school had relatives from New York. The next day at school we all talked about it and the teachers addressed the situation in a calm manner.

Here I am now, almost 20 years old. It's been a long time, but it never fails that every year on this day I get a cold chill up my spine remembering all the people that lost their lives and all the loved ones they left behind. My heart goes out to all of them. They will never be forgotten.


9-11-11

No comments:

Post a Comment