Writer of Stories.

Writer of Stories.

Friday, September 30, 2011

progress for the sake of progress



When there is time left still, how does one go about finding what to do with it? My answer is clear. Whenever I'm not specifically writing something within the plotline of my story, I like to take the time to write random thoughts and ideas in hopes they'll inspire me later. For instance, I bought a copy of Writers Digest called "Writing Basics". It gives a lot of tips and advice from published authors who've been through it all and seen every type of manuscript you could possibly think of. It's come in handy as of late for me because towards the end it gives a list of 52 writing prompts for every week of a year. It's basically a way to keep your creative mind sharp and ready for action when you're ready to sit down and write something serious. I've been skimming through a lot of them and I've decided I'm going to start attempting to write something random once a week, following the prompts I've discovered of course. I will go ahead and admit now that this might be a bit of a challenge for me to stick with, but even if I don't write one every week I'm hoping that the ones I do write will be useful for projects to come.

This isn't the only thing I've been thinking about when I get writer's block. I wasn't able to write anything yesterday because of my own decision to start "working out" again. Yes, I actually did. I ran on the treadmill and did quite a few other timely exercises that has left my muscles very sore. Afterwards, I chose to take a well deserved and LONG nap. I also had the opportunity to have dinner with my two best friends who both happened to be home from college at the same time. By the time I got home it was late and I knew I had to get up for work this morning. So instead of starting something fresh (or picking up on something complicated) in my book, I decided to search for the ultimate quote that will be placed at the front of my book once it's finished. It had to be one of those classic poems, or a really deep song lyric, or something so epic that it made your toes curl when you read it. But it couldn't be random. No, it obviously has to symbolize the story in some way and basically sum up the real moral of it.

Then I found it...

When I was in chorus in high school, we sang a beautifully composed song called "I Am Not Yours". I eventually figured out that it was based off of the poem by Sara Teasdale. I fell in love with the song immediately so naturally when I read the poem it spoke to me beautifully. It wasn't until recently when I was on the hunt for this special note that would open for my story that I stumbled upon it again and realized how much it applies with the main character of my book and how she feels about her love. She once was completely entrapped by the amount of love she had for him, but after realizing that none of it was real she comes to terms with the fact that she wishes she was lost in him like she once was. Whether it was real or not, she prays to find that feeling again because it was the best she'd ever had.

It's a really sad thing to think about but what else could you ask for from a great book? That's what I strive for =]



I Am Not Yours by Sara Teasdale

I am not yours, not lost in you,
Not lost, although I long to be
Lost as a candle lit at noon,
Lost as a snowflake in the sea.

You love me, and I find you still
A spirit beautiful and bright,
Yet I am I, who long to be
Lost as light is lost in light.

Oh plunge me deep in love - put out
My senses, leave me deaf and blind,
Swept by the tempest of your love,
A taper in a rushing wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment