Writer of Stories.

Writer of Stories.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

I'LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson

I couldn't write this earlier. I was too full of emotion to even fathom what I would write down. I finished reading I'll Give You the Sun at 1 o'clock this morning, and it was the most beautiful work of literature I think I've ever read.
Mind you, I've read some pretty amazing books. I've got a list of favorites, and I'm pretty this just bumped everything back down a spot, taking number one.
It's not just the fact that the characters were so well developed. It's not just the fact that the story is being told at two different times yet somehow are parallel. It makes no difference that the amount of detail that went in to the artwork and the passion blew my very mind. It's not even the idea that Jandy Nelson has created something within me that I don't think I can ever extinguish.
The pure fact of it is, I loved it.

(There's always this one Goodreads user out there (I won't name them), but she always gives the worst reviews to some of the best books. Not just random books that maybe I'm the only person out there that appreciated it for what it was. No. GOOD books, that the whole world loved. It's weird. I think she's a sociopath. But never mind that.)

I mainly wanted to stress how much this book affected me. There are some books, when I read them, that I thoroughly enjoy. I think about them right after I'm finished, thinking it'll stick with me forever, but they never do. This book. I have no doubt in my mind that it has changed me. The two main characters are artists, and as I was reading, I couldn't help but think that this book was a piece of art in itself.

I'm not going to go into the spoilery bits, because I'll Give You the Sun is one of those books you are better of knowing nothing about. I will say this: I was moved the most by the relationship Noah and Jude shared. It might be because they are twins, but I feel like Jandy Nelson represented that bond so perfectly between a brother and sister. More so. And the ending? Let's just say: everyone has secrets.

Please, please, please go read this godsend of a book! I am begging you!


Megan


Add this book to your shelf on Goodreads!
I'll Give You the Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment